Each year Bottomup’s chess initiative continues to grow and gain momentum.
Growth in the chess project is always exciting because it helps children (and teens) to develop a healthy self-concept and self-esteem and teaches them to problem-solve instead of acting impulsively.
This year kids in our programme have already achieved the following:
- Mia (u9) – Western Province Colours
- Gairooneesa (u9) – 2nd Place (silver) in WC Girls Tournament
- Zinedeane – achieved the only draw against GM Aleksa Strikovic in a simul event at Curro Century City
- Perivale u9 team – 1st Place District South & 4th Western Province
- Parkwood u13 girls team – 1st Place District South & 3rd (bronze) Western Province
- Fairmount u18 – 1st Place District South & 2nd (silver) Western Province
Bottomup’s chess project now reaches into four schools:
- Perivale Primary (Weekly instruction)
- Parkwood Primary (Weekly instruction)
- Hyde Park Primary (Weekly instruction) *NEW
- Fairmount High School (Monthly Coaching Clinics) *NEW
With additional backing for the chess project Bottomup would be able to take this initiative to scale within the Metro South Education District Circuit 3 Area (36 schools), Bottomup’s target impact zone.